Thursday 23 April 2020

PGC2019: Lady Eyja Gunnarsdottir's Nalbound Mitts

Lady Eyja submits the first entry in the new 'Sweet are the uses of adversity' category.  She writes the following to describe her fingerless gloves:





"I decided to use my 'plague time' to learn the Nalebinding Oslo stitch. This may have been a skill my persona learnt around the fire as a young girl, and taken up again when time rich but resource poor as it only requires wool.

I have used a bone needle, 100% wool, and a youtube video - https://youtu.be/UEJywXIluhk 

Initially I found it tricky to get a nice tension without tearing the wool, but it was relatively easygoing once that was sorted. The fingerless gloves were made in the round, not following any specific pattern other than trying it on as I went.



The result is soft, warm, and stretchy with a neat pattern. The wool itself felts well at the joints but is rather fragile, so in future I would use something sturdier for a hard wearing piece such as mittens.

In service,
Eyja Gunnarsdottir."

No comments:

Post a Comment