Saturday 11 January 2020

PGC2019: Mistress katherine kerr's Box of Games

What revels are in hand? Is there no play, To ease the anguish of a torturing hour?  Mistress katherine kerr enters a box of "games, toys, and other such entertainments".  In her own words:


"To keep me amused as a child, my father would play dice with me, using the games common in the Venetian lands in which we lived. I have a set of dice, as well as some French playing cards and jetons and other tokens to play the Game of Goose, Marienbad and other games, though of course I do not gamble when playing.

I have made up a small box of games of the kind Katherine may have played, including rules for various dice and card games; a set of Pierre Marechal’s playing cards (France, 1567); a set of juggling balls and some dice and throwing sticks presented to me by the very creative Lord Ronan mac Briain."

No comments:

Post a Comment